Friday, September 7, 2018

9.7.18

Hello Hoover Rockets,

It was a great first week at Hoover!  The students are learning routines and creating communities in their classroom.  I-READY assessments began in the computer labs with students in 1st-4th grade.  The Kindergarten students are being assessed on their Letter Identification and Sounds.  Thank you to all the parents, staff and volunteers who helped make Hoover look amazing for the 2018-2019 school year.


Front Doors
Our front doors will be locked during SACC hours (7:00-9:00 am and 4:00-6:00 pm). This will begin on Wednesday, September 12th.   This is a change from our past practice.  Please help your Hoover Rocket by reminding them to bring home all items needed to complete homework.  The office closes at 4:30.  The SACC staff will be supervising students and can not leave them alone to open the front doors.  Our custodial staff will be busy cleaning the building and can not answer the door during those times.  The student's safety is our number one goal.  Thanks for understanding and supporting this new security procedure.

Freedom Run
We will be celebrating our rights as US Citizens on Tuesday, September 11th.  The students are encouraged to wear red, white and blue comfortable clothes and shoes.  We will all be walking or running after the short ceremony at 1:45.  If you would like to volunteer please click on this link:



Fall Picture Day-Thursday, September 13th in the morning.  Look for a picture day form to come home either today or on Monday.

Did you know that we have some new staff at Hoover? 

Loretti Nesti School Social Worker It's hard to believe, but this is my 2oth year as a SSW with LPS.  I came to LPS from Detroit where I worked at the high school level, transferring to Livonia where I primarily worked at the middle schools, and now for the past few years am finally with  elementary.  This year I have been re-assigned to Niji Iro and Riley, with Hoover and Kennedy being new assignments. Some of you may already know me or have seen me around Hoover,  my daughter, Livia went to Hoover and is currently  in the  6th grade at Riley.  My daughter keeps me busy with all of her activities with soccer keeping us the busiest.  We both love to travel, especially Italy and Chicago where we have family.  I am very excited to be part of the Hoover family!

Shelly VanEsley Elementary Support Teacher I have been teaching for the last 18 years in Dearborn Heights. Most of my days were spent with fabulous 3rd grade students. I have been a Livonia resident for the past 7 years. I have been married to my husband Lou for the past 5 years. We met back in high school. My 3 children attend Livonia schools. Brynlee will be in 7th grade at Holmes. Carter and Annalee both are at Riley, one in 5th and one in 6th grade. Most of my spare time is spent watching my 2 daughters play travel soccer, and my son playing basketball football, or soccer.  I am beyond thrilled to be a part of the LPS community. Making a difference in young lives is my passion, and I can not wait to do that here at Hoover!

Hoover Spirit Wear  Free shipping 9/4-9/24!  Here is the link to check out the new company http://www.hooverspiritwear.com  They have sweatshirts, PJ Pants, Back Packs, T-Shirts etc. 

Walk-a-thon
Today our PTA visited each classroom and talked to the students about our upcoming fundraiser-THE WALK-A-THON.  This is our biggest fundraiser of the year!  Look for some information to come home about how you can support our Hoover Rockets this school year!

Spirit Day
Each year we collect Spirit Day funds and make a donation to a charity that touches the heart of our Hoover Rockets.  Students can donate $1 to do something that they can't normally do at school.  Our first Spirit Day is Friday, September 14th.  Students can pay $1 to wear a hat at school.



9/11    1:45 Freedom Run, 7:00 PTA Meeting
9/13    Fall Picture Day
9/14    Spirit Day Hat Day (students can pay $1 to wear a hat)
9/17    11:20 Lock Down Drill
9/18    5:30-6:15 Curriculum Night Kg-2nd
           6:15-6:45  Open House for All
           6:45-7:30   Curriculum Night 3rd-4th
9/26-9/28  Hearing Screenings (KG, 1st, 2nd, 4th)
9/28    Outdoor Movie Night 7:00
10/3    Walk A Thon 9:30-10:00 KG, 10:00-10:30 3rd, 10:40-11:10 4th, 11:15-11:45 1st-2nd